Once again we asked the community of music photographers in the Twin Cites and Minnesota go share their favorite photographs taken in the last year. Here is the first group – be sure to check TCM for the rest of the great talent we have in MN.
Jon Behm is a self-taught photographer who has been shooting music in the Twin Cities for nearly a dozen years. He typically gravitates towards smaller venues where performances are intimate but lighting is challenging. His work can be found on Reviler.org
2017 was a slower year for me as far as shooting goes. Having a toddler at home means it’s harder to get out to shows. But I still got to a fair amount in 2017 and selected some of the shots that I thought came out visually interesting and unique.
Hi. I’m John Oakes. I like loud music. I also like taking photos of loud music. When I’m not in a poorly lit club, I’m doing what I can do to help out with animal conservation. If you’re bored, you can check out my stuff at www.johnoakesphotography.com or at www.instagram.com/johnoakesphoto.
These are my favorite photos from this year
- Metallica: I’m pretty sure I am legally obligated to include a photo of James Hetfield staring daggers into my lens.
- Dillinger Four: This is the last photo I took at the final Triple Rock show. There will never be another place like this again.
- Local H: Scott Lucas playing at AT&T Stadium. This is my #1 favorite photo from the year.
- Local H: Another Local H photo and although not an action-packed photo, this photo is special to me. The is Local H walking out to a sold-out hometown show at Soldier Field in Chicago. These guys deserved this show and deserve so much more.
- Jeff Rosenstock: On a hot and steamy summer night, Jeff Rosenstock made us all forget about what is going on in this world for two hours.
Lucy Hawthorne is a Minneapolis based photographer. Whether working on a commercial shoot, photographing a wedding, hiking around and taking pictures of wildlife and landscapes, or packed in a crowd capturing a local show, she is happy wherever as long as she’s got a camera in hand. To see more of her work, visit lucyhawthornemn.com or on instagram @lucy612
Images include Craig Finn (First Ave), Japandroids (First Ave), Conor Oberst (Palace Theatre), Regina Spektor (Palace Theatre), and Benjamin Booker (Rock the Garden).
Matt is a TCM contributor and well rounded music, wedding, and action photographer. His work can be found on Facebook
Aaron Lewis was photographed at First Ave on February 26 2017. I love this image for one it’s Aaron Lewis. I love the drama of all of the tattoos. I also love the old guitar that has been signed by country music legends.
Kenny G was photographed October 21 2017 at Treasure Island Resort. I love this image because I caught Kenny looking at me with sax.
Pitbull was photographed on October 7 2017 at the Xcel Energy Center. Pitbull is an amazing entertainer and performer.
Jacoby Shaddix of Papa Roach was photographed December 9 2017 at the Myth. I really like this image due to the horns and the return of the head bang.
Korn was photographed October 26 2017 at the Myth. This image is one of my favorites due to the Korn pounding away on stage. Jonathan Davis is flying the middle finger. Brian Welch “Head” is in a full dread whip. The fan crowd surfing flying the middle finger makes the image